Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tai chi sword





Over the years I have seen older people from China practice tai chi in the parking lot of a senior housing building in Ann Arbor. It has never worked out for me to photograph one of them until yesterday.
I was sent by me editor to look for, what we call, a "feature." It's a photo that can be published without an article, since it looks compelling enough just based on its visual properties. I know this is kind of a "heavy" explanation, but I think it gives you a good idea of what it is.
Just on a whim, I decided to drive by that place and bingo! - one guy was there doing his slow and graceful movements. I immediately ran over to him and after he gave me his permission in halting English, I started shooting.
To my extra luck, after doing his "regular" tai chi, he switched to "tai chi sword," as he called it.
Later I asked him why he practices tai chi and he said that it keeps him healthy. "I don't eat medicine," he said.

No comments: